Freeplane is a free and open-source software application for Mind Mapping and electronic outlining. This software can be used for analyzing the information contained in mind maps. Freeplane is written in java so it can run on any operating system that has a current version of Java installed. One can also run it locally or portably from removable storage like a USB drive.
Features and Highlights
- It can take note freely positionable, unconnected nodes (post-it’s);
- Then it can Order ideas (nodes) into a hierarchy connected by lines (edges);
- It can Classify nodes with metadata (attributes) and style types (system styles, user-defined styles, level styles);
- Also it can Group nodes with visual containers (clouds) and accolade (summary node);
- This software can Connect nodes with dynamic links, free lines (connectors) and labels;
- It can Automatically style nodes (with a bubble, color, edge type, etc.) according to hierarchical level and content (conditional styles, automatic edge color, level styles);
- Moreover it can Structure nodes in terms of content (text, scientific formula, calculation, icon, image, and hyperlink) and presentation area (core, details, notes, attributes, images, and tooltip);
- Also it can Change views by hiding content (folding branches, filtering, a roll-up of details and hiding extensions in the tooltip), finding, scrolling and navigating;
- It has Task with calendar and reminders;
- Has Password protection of whole map and of individual nodes with DES encryption;
Note: Freeplane can be worked only on the operating system that has Java Runtime Environment installed.