The universal media server is a free DLNA, UPnP & HTTP/S media server which streams or transcodes many different media formats with little or no configuration. It supports all major OS, with versions for Windows, Linux, and macOS.
The universal media server is a media server that is capable of serving videos, audio, and images to any DLNA-capable device. This server is powered by FFmpeg, MEncoder,tsMuxeR, MediaInfo, OpenSubtitles, and more which is combined to offer support for a wide range of media formats.
Once the server is perfectly set, then the users can start enjoying their media by launching the UMS WEB interface in their browser.UMS theoretically downloads art to use as thumbnails for movies and songs, a usual media server feature to make navigation easier and more visually pleasing, but by practicing the user will probably have to add his metadata manually.
- It can scan all content on home networks automatically.
- Its third-party plug-ins provide extra features.
- It is compatible with various devices.
- It is open-source software.
- It is always free.
- It has a confusing setup.
- Its web interface is plain & initially uncategorized.
- sometimes it fails to work on some theoretically compatible devices.
- It has no remote access options.
The universal Media server is a great software to use as a streaming application that you can use for various of your devices. It is a great app that can detect the type of device you are connected to.